Sweet Leilani Cosmetics Review
As a woman with acne prone skin, I prefer to wear make up daily, but don’t want to further aggravate my acne by wearing it daily – damned if you do, damned if you don’t! There’s make up out there that has acne fighting ingredients, so it’s supposedly helping clear up your acne while covering it. Then there’s Bare Minerals which claims to be a pure mineral based make up that won’t clog pores and is actually good for your skin. However, the cosmetics industry isn’t regulated, so terms like “100% mineral based”, “vegan free”, “cruelty free” are all loosely termed. Lack of regulation of the cosmetics industry is a whole other blog post!
I was referred to a make up line based out of Vancouver, Canada called Sweet Leilani Cosmetics by a friend who also struggles with acne. She told me that it’s the only make up that doesn’t make her break out. It was initially developed to help burn victims and has gone on to be recognized by the World and Canadian Burn Congress and by Burn and Cancer Units. The make up is full coverage – can cover tattoos, scars and birthmarks – is camera ready, sweat proof, waterproof and actually good for your skin! They claim that you can literally sleep in the make up and it will be benefiting your skin (just in case…for those lazy/messy nights). True to Vancouver culture, it’s organic, pure, vegan, cruelty free and contains a non chemical sunscreen – not because it’s a cash grab, but because out West, it’s a LIFESTYLE.
The line contains natural ingredients with anti inflammatory and anti aging properties for the skin such as rose hip, grape seed and green tea extracts. Rose hip and grape seed help reduce scarring and acne due to the powerful antioxidant properties. Green tea also being so high in antioxidants has anti aging benefits. Topical use of green tea helps promote the health and quantity of collagen in the skin and protects the skin from the damaging effects of free radicals – resulting in less wrinkles. The ingredient list is simple and short, meaning no extra preservatives you find in most cosmetics that irritate your skin and speed up the aging process. To preserve the make up however, they add salt and as a result, the recommended shelf life of the product is 2 years. Other cosmetics can last longer, but at the added cost of damaging ingredients for your face.
I consulted a friend of mine who has a graduate certificate in Pharmaceutical Regulatory Affairs & Quality Control about the ingredients list. She works at a consulting firm that analyzes ingredients list for cosmetics, natural products and pharmaceuticals for subsequent review and approval for Health Canada – needless to say, she’s very familiar about the cosmetics industry. When she read through the ingredients list, she was shocked by how short the list was.
“They seem to use a lot of the natural extract. Most products will have 0.01% of a natural extract and then label it natural. There’s also no parabens which have been suspected to cause cancer in humans. Seems like the real deal.” – Sharda Baichan, Hon.B.sc, UofT
To order, I called them up and I sent over a picture so they can match my skin colour. The line only carries 5 colors as they have researched skin cells, where each color gradient covers a wide variety of shades.
Below I share a quick step by step of a look I did using the line, followed by pictures of the overall look.
- Conceal under the eyes and blemishes using Skin Care Cover Foundation.
- Apply Island Goddess Prep, Prime & Powder all over using a beauty blender. I highly recommend using the beauty blender for this foundation as it’s very liquidy and using a brush may give you a streaky finish.
- Apply Island Radiance Bronzer Powder for extra coverage and to set make up.
- Contour using Conch Shell Eye Shadow Palette. I know that it’s technically eyeshadow, but half the fun in make up is playing around with it! I used the dark color to contour along cheekbones, jawline, temples and nose and the lighter glittery gold color to highlight above and below contoured area of cheeks, forehead and nose. This gives you a subtle, soft contoured look.
- Apply MAC Blush in Dollymix on the apples of my cheeks.
- Apply Make Up Forever’s Aqua Black Cream Cake eyeliner to line the top and bottom lash line as well as my waterline.
- Curl my eyelashes and then apply mascara on my bottom and top lashes. I do a base application using Maybelline’s Falsies Volum’ Express and then go over it using MAC’s Zoom Lash mascara to add length.
- Use MAC lip liner in Half Red to line the lips and then apply Sweet Leilani’s Lipstick in Passion Flower.
My verdict? I’m really enjoying the make up and have started using it daily in lieu of Bare Minerals Foundation. When asking friends and family of their opinion, they too like the finish of it. If you have sensitive skin, acne prone skin or just care about what goes on your face, I highly recommend this line.
TAKE ADVANTAGE OF EXCLUSIVE PRICING
For a limited time offer, Sweet Leilani has teamed up with BeautyCubed to give my followers a special rate. From now until June 15th, 2015, you can get an additional 15% off when you buy 3 products and 25% off when you buy 5 or more. Free shipping on all orders over $100. To take advantage of the discount, simply place your order over the phone by contacting them directly and mention that you saw this promotion on beautycubed.com.