Anti Aging Must Dos : My Top 5
For those of you who wish to age gracefully but feel overwhelmed with the amount of information out there and feel like giving up before even trying, I’ve compiled a list of Top 5 Anti Aging Must Dos, in order of least to most important. It’s never too soon to start and neglect will only speed up the process. Why not start the new year right with trying to incorporate one or more of these things into your lifestyle.
5. Have a proper daily skin care regimen
Skin care regime is unique to each person’s skin type, but there are certain must dos that should be part of everyone’s daily skin care routine.
- Wash your face twice a day.
- DON’T sleep with makeup on. Sleeping with makeup results in unnecessary exposure to the free radicals in the environment, which the makeup holds on to. Free radicals cause the breakdown of healthy collagen, which results in fine lines on the skin. If you’re too lazy to wash your face, at least use make up wipes. My favourite are Lise Watier’s Make Up Wipes – they cleanse, tone & moisturize in one!
- Use proper moisturizers – day and night. Your creams don’t have to necessarily be anti aging creams, but it’s important to keep your skin hydrated with moisturizers that suit your skin’s needs.
- Use eye cream twice a day. For tips on eye creams and my picks, refer to my recent post Eye Cream 101.
4. Wear SPF daily
The biggest cause of wrinkles is sun damage, so it’s important you’re wearing SPF daily. Regardless if it’s sunny out or not, the sun is penetrating through and damaging your skin. For more details on how to incorporate sunscreen into your daily routine and my top picks, refer to my post The Most Important Anti Aging Product Ever.
3. Lead a healthy & active lifestyle
In order to age gracefully, you need to lead a healthy lifestyle – eat well and stay active. Stress is a huge factor of aging and working out is a great way to manage it – feel free to browse my fitness category for some great workout tips! Eating well ensures you’re getting the right nutrients that will keep you looking young well into your years. Check out my post Dieting vs. Eating Healthy for realistic ways I maintain a healthy and balanced diet.
2. Stay Hydrated
Drinking water keeps your skin hydrated. If you’re not hydrated, it results in dry, tight, flaky skin which is more prone to wrinkling. Water is also important in delivering essential nutrients to skin cells and helping in removing waste and toxins from our bodies – be it through urination or regular bowel movements. I recommend drinking 2-3 litres a day.
Whoever said sleep is for the weak is wrong! Sleep is the MOST important thing to age gracefully. Your skin and whole body go into repair mode when you sleep. While you sleep, your skin renews itself with new cells replacing older cells, helping slow down the aging process. It is recommended to sleep 7-8 hours a day. With our busy lifestyles, it’s really hard to get the recommended hours of sleep, so try catching up with occasional naps – it’s not just for kids!