Why I take Wheatgrass Daily
By now, most of you have heard of wheatgrass and how it’s soooo healthy for you. Although you will find a plethora of benefits of wheatgrass on the internet, there hasn’t been a lot of research done, so a lot of these benefits are claims and not necessarily scientifically proven. However, I didn’t read anywhere that it’s bad for you, and given ALL the potential health benefits, I decided to give it a try.
In my research, I also found that you need to be careful with fresh wheat grass as it can grow mold very easily. Wheatgrass can be challenging to maintain and keep fresh; in fact, many of these juice stores may be serving you moldy wheatgrass. As a result, for convenience, price and health reasons, I chose to take wheatgrass in powder form. I take Flora Organic Wheat Grass Powder and buy it from Nutrition House located right below my office in Brookfield Place. The bottle costs about $30 and lasts me a little over a month.
Every morning, on an empty stomach, I mix a heaping teaspoon of wheatgrass powder into a short glass of water and drink it in two gulps. I don’t mind the taste at all – it sure tastes better than a shot of tequila! The reason I do it on an empty stomach is because it has an alkalizing effect and allows for the nutrients to be absorbed more efficiently. I’ve been doing this now for about 6 months and plan to continue doing it long term. Although I haven’t seen any immediate magical benefits, I believe wheatgrass’ benefits are long term and will really start to show years from now.
So for those of you who don’t want to sift through all the information on the internet about wheatgrass, I’ve compiled a list of reasons why I choose to take wheatgrass daily.
- Helps your hair from graying – I have fast graying genes, so this really hit home for me!
- It has a very high content in vitamin A (twice the amount of carrots) which is hard to get from your daily diet, and vitamin A has a lot of anti-aging benefits.
- Vitamin A helps you as you age in several ways. Importantly, it’s an antioxidant that helps neutralize the damaging effects of oxidation caused by free radicals. Oxidation caused by free radicals is believed to be a primary cause of age-related degeneration and disease.
- Topical solutions with vitamin A (such as retinol creams) have been shown to reduce signs of sun damage and skin aging by working as an exfoliator and reducing fine lines and wrinkles. Vitamin A intake can also help with circles under the eyes, much as vitamin K does.
- While vitamins aren’t going to stop you from aging, the right ones can help slow the process down, keep you healthy late into life, and keep you looking younger than your years.
- Increases energy levels – I get instant energy after I take it every morning
- Improves your digestion
- Improves your immune system – it has more vitamin C than oranges
- Clears skin
- Reduces Body Odor
- Naturally keeps your breathe fresh
- Helps with weight loss
- Acts as an anti-inflammatory (claims it has a more potent anti-inflammatory effect than aspirin)
- Just one teaspoon of wheatgrass powder is nutritionally equivalent to an entire spinach salad (so sure helps ensure you get your daily veggies in)
Anyone else take wheatgrass? Why do you take it? How do you feel it makes a difference in your life? I’d love to hear from you. Send me an email or leave a comment below!